TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Pretty good list...
People Seeking Info

Subject Pretty good list...

Posted by megaDan on April 20, 2015 at 3:19 PM
  This message has been viewed 323 times.

In Reply To 8 tips/lessons from when I did it a few years back.... posted by Arkham_Z on April 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Message But my biggest piece of advice would be do not cheap out on brakes. Especially with the Z. As a Z owner and mostly seasoned Lemons driver (this will be my third season) we've learned quite a bit, but one thing we've never had issues with is brakes. Get GOOD pads, and run ATE or the equivalent brake fluid. Why spend a few thousand dollars as a team to sit on the side of the track because you didn't want to spend an extra $5 on brake fluid or $50 on pads. Think of the 'extras' as cheap insurance to give yourself as much seat time as possible.

Oil cooler is a great idea. But do it on the cheap. Same with radiator. If you put shiny new parts in they will see it and asses penalties. You could probably get away with the OEM rad, we've been running one on our VR6 golf with no issues.

If you get good pads and fluid you won't have to worry about doing flushes mid race. Install new QUALITY pads and fluid pre-race and effectively bleed the system. You should be fine.

If you can have spares of commonly needed items on hand...I would suggest it. Again, cheap insurance to get as much track time as possible. If there are a few Z drivers on the team, drive yours to the track as donors for spare parts. I'll be at the race and have a garage full of spares. Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to bring along.

As was mentioned, have a checklist and follow it. Check EVERYTHING. Make sure every bolt is tight and torqued properly (NOT WITH AN IMPACT. BY HAND).

I'll be there with my team and fully stocked garage and tools. We'll be the big white two-car tent/garage. If you ask nicely and bring food or beer to share anything is yours to borrow :-)

Have fun!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.