TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - 8 tips/lessons from when I did it a few years back....
People Seeking Info

Subject 8 tips/lessons from when I did it a few years back....

Posted by Arkham_Z on April 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM
  This message has been viewed 383 times.

In Reply To 24 Hours of Lemons posted by TT DNA on April 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Message Ran a Sentra that didn't make it to the end because of number one.

1.) Get an oil cooler (and oil temp and water temp gauge if money allows) or plan on taking extended breaks. We needed one. (From my experience, NA's will start overheating and burning oil fairly fast if run at high speed for very long. Like a trip from Houston to Austin doing 90 the whole way. The guy in front of me had his car start blowing smoke about 30 minutes into the trip on a well maintained car.)

2.) Get Speed-Bleeders for the calipers and practice full flushes.....you will have to do it more than once unless you spend money on good fluid. Which we did not........

3.) Get a few extra wheel studs and nuts juuuuuust in case. Broke one and stripped another changing a flat. (Pit crew with hangovers are useless)

4.) JB Weld, RTV Black, zip ties, extra socks, extra fluids, a big freakin' hammer, and duct tape......essential. You will get hit at some point and have something hanging off or get your radiator punctured by something.

5.) Wrap socks/tennis wrist bands around the power steering res cap or it will be EVERYWHERE but in the reservoir.

6.) Break-in on the pads and rotors BEFORE you go. We glazed our pads right off at the start because the car owner was supposed to do it and didn't.

7.) Double check everything everyone else was supposed to do. See above for ref.

8.) Drink plenty of water.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.