TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Front fascia and Carbon Canister saga....
People Seeking Info

Subject Front fascia and Carbon Canister saga....

Posted by Zuberman on March 30, 2015 at 3:57 AM
  This message has been viewed 1027 times.

Message My front fascia has some tears I'm going to have to remedy with my plastic-welder. Then I'll probably take it to the bodyshop and let them paint it cuz I doubt I could get the paint to stay stuck on the plastic.....that's like fuzzy chemistry to me :(

photo 20150329_153107.jpg

Nah that's uh hood-scoop raht thar!

photo 20150329_153150.jpg

I took the front fascia off for various reasons, not the least of which was the Carbon Canister delete. I've also deleted all my tow-hooks, as well as my factory side air-ducts.

photo 20150329_220502.jpg

I managed to pull the Carbon Canister hard-pipe tree without cutting it up. I un-bolted the intake and intercooler pipes, removed the re-circ, wiggled and jiggled and it came out.

photo 20150329_225808.jpg

This is where I departed from Robo's instructions. I finally (DUH) understood exactly what he is explaining about the main point being to trace/find the actual vent-hose from the fuel-tank and just make sure that that is getting vented, and I did that mainly by noting the marks on the canister and associating them with the different pipes going into it on top. I also finally understood that the big tube from the bottom of the Carbon Canister is not connected to anything in the frame and that all I had to do is twist it around and pull it out. Geez I really do embarass my own self sometimes :(
So I extracted the rest and used the small, mounted pipe with the fart-flapper on the end from underneath the frame as my vent tube.
But I bent the mounting plate part because I found a special place for it. I also bent the longer tube part so that it would clear the A/C hose in order to accept the fuel-tank vent-hose. Be careful bending this type of pipe cuz it can kink in a split-second. I used a small piece of slightly larger-diameter metal pipe and my vise and was VERY careful with it; little tweaks at a time. I used yellow zip-ties to secure the fart-flapper cuz I'm not sure how sturdy this rig is going to be and I'll always want to be aware of it when I'm in the engine-compartment doing whatever.

photo 20150329_215924.jpg

Here is the special place I mounted it. It's a factory-provided bolt-hole, and I re-routed the fuel-tank vent-hose to get to it. The A/C compressor is at the top-left.

photo 20150329_220259.jpg

Mounted.

photo 20150329_224237.jpg

I left the rubber gasket that was with it from it's original location cuz I figured it must be there for something reasonable such as insulation against static electricity (??) iono. Not hurting anything I suppose.

photo 20150329_224330.jpg

I have no idea how this is going to work out in the long run. It might catch on fire from the fumes venting where I have it, or maybe I will smell gasoline all the time, who knows, but I took a shot at it; tried to refine it a little.
HUGE thanks to Robo and his pages, as well as to everyone who helped him!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.