TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - if everything is working for you now..
People Seeking Info

Subject if everything is working for you now..

Posted by Gromit on March 29, 2015 at 8:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 356 times.

In Reply To I don't tune but..... posted by Z ONLY1 on March 28, 2015 at 06:41 PM

Message It might be best to leave well alone as you indicated you are not having any problems with connections. I would not recommend a wipe and clean install unless you feel comfortable doing it as it can be very frustrating if and when problems occur.

A compromise if you're using Windows is to create a restore point and then start uninstalling any software you don't absolutely need. Use the Windows uninstall feature first, otherwise use the software's uninstall feature if it has one. With drives being so cheap these days, another option is to simply buy another drive to play with and remove your current one (keep as backup).

If you do want to give a clean install a shot, be sure to make an image of your hard drive before you start. An image will allow you to restore your drive to the way it was. There is lots of information online about how to do this (also see link below). You will need an install disc with only the OS on it and a license key. You may have another disc with the drivers on it. You can also find drivers on Dell's site. Personally, I would also record (or take pictures of) all of your current BIOS settings before you start.

If your Dell is a laptop I would start with notebookreview.com. Scroll down and there is a section in the forums organized by manufacturer, line, and then model. Find your exact model and start reading. For many models there are really awesome members that post step-by-step instructions (sound familiar?) for things like doing a clean install or installing a drive.

Other good sites include arstechnica, tomshardware, and newegg for starters.

- G.

"ok dude YOU RULE at comparing arbitrary number valuations to the written word. You are the king." - Adam (NoVA) 04/27/11

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.