TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I have used all three options listed above >>>
People Seeking Info

Subject I have used all three options listed above >>>

Posted by ztunerz on March 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM
  This message has been viewed 1104 times.

In Reply To Reviews on Nistune posted by rav_300zx on March 26, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Message As background I have been using tuning z32's wen the only option was a rom editor which had have the description in Japanese and you had to burn a chip everytime you needed to test something. No emulator, no realtime, no logging, nothing.

Moates with nistune as the software - random disconnects, real time editing was buggy to say the least.

Nistune board with nistune software - very stable at least for me. More expensive than option 1 but the stability made up for it. Writes are plenty fast, never been an issue. I do believe this system has its uses. Documentation has improved greatly since it came out. Imo for people that are somewhat techy, not looking for the ultimate solution and are already invested in Selin translators, boost controllers etc, it's still a decent and viable solution. To me the biggest problem is the fact that you still rely on the factory knock control setup which is nothing like haltech. You can add JS knock safeguard but that is a significant expense.

Now let's look at haltech vs nistune. IMO there are two MAJOR things about haltech that are daunting. 1 cost 2. Steep learning curve. If you already have tuning experience and are will ing to read haltech is FAR superior. Personally about of all the above I got used to haltech the fastest. Maybe it's because I already had experience with other solutions.

here is a quick cost rundown between nistune and haltech.
Nistune + blitz sbc + accurate dual channel wb + Selin translator + two mafs is roughly 1500 bux

Haltech + can bus dual channel+ outboard map+ ait + ecu flying lead harness + 2 boost solenoids ( all haltech branded ) is about 2300 roughly.

The prices I listed are rough estimates. Can get stuff cheaper and you can select different things but my point is simply that apples to apples a haltech solution will cost more regardless

You can add e85 sensor to both options for 370 (zetronics) with a outboard gauge and terminated harnesses however you will need a io box with the haltech which is an additional expense. It also opens up options for failsafe solutions. You could rig up fuel pressure and oil pressure transducers to enable failsafes and warning lights , you could also add multiple ait sensors to see how efficient your inter cooling setup is and creat compensation maps. You can also do boost by speed or gear real easy. The list goes on. Essentially it's in a different ballpark as far as I am concerned.

All this being said you have to factor in the setup time. Haltech takes longer to setup and tune, simply because you are starting from scratch. Better set aside plenty of dyno time and street logging.

Hope this helps..

Harry

Formerly yellowzxtt

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.