TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Always up for discussion :)
People Seeking Info

Subject Always up for discussion :)

Posted by Antihero on March 26, 2015 at 6:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 682 times.

In Reply To I hope you have your flame suit on :) posted by DVDBURN (MD) on March 26, 2015 at 05:18 PM

Message TLDR: skip to point 4.

1. Caught me sleeping. Ostrich original does not have real time trace. Version 2.0 added that feature.

2. "Real time trace is a function of the software."

real time trace must be both supported by the emulator in hardware and the software you are using in order to utilize it. Software cannot compensate for hardware that doesn't have it. Moot point since apparently moates added it a while ago.

3. "- No more advanced than Zim or Ostrich and they too allow tweaking things on the fly."

How can you tweak with an ostrich in realtime on the fly? There is no onboard processing. Sure you can switch between preloaded maps, but lets say you want to switch maps based on an flex fuel sensor in real time with no human interaction? How would you do that with ostrich?

4. again, maybe I'm missing something here. The last time I saw an ostrich the only connection it had to the Z32 ecu was the dip32 socket. Is there any additional functionality? the dip32 socket does not provide access to log/monitor anything at all unless there have been some absolutely out of control firmware/rom hacks I missed. With a stock Z firmware, the consult data just doesn't flow through that dip32 socket, so there is no way to get it at any speed using an ostrich. What am I missing? Using just an ostrich, without any additional hardware, how could you determine something like current voltage? (im sorry if thats a bad example because it can be inferred from trace. obviously you could infer something like rpm from the map trace, but you still wouldn't know the exact rpm)

5. Ahh.. verify the proper operation of the device and rom writes? Agreed. I was refering more to the above as in an ostrich cannot be used to verify the calibration of the TPS. To be fair, 9600 baud sounds painfully slow, but with the entire rom being 32k, it's not thaaaaaat bad.

the pause between reading consult datastream and writing rom data is annoying, but I'm still trying to figure out how you are reading any streaming data at all with the ostrich.

Antihero

How to have a good time with your 300zx:
Don't buy from AMS because it's shoddily "designed", cheaply made
knockoff garbage.
Ash makes good stuff, but don't buy from straight from ASH if you
can't deal with him going MIA. Buy his stuff from SpecialtyZ.
Don't put injectors in that aren't 95+ style Nismo or Injector dynamics
Do your timing belt when you are supposed to with oem stuff.
If a wheel doesn't proudly declare where it's made, you shouldn't be
putting it on a 300zx, and if ebay is the best place to get it, that's
concerning. Yes, I am talking
about those XXR's.
Don't put on a FMIC that isn't Tom's. That ebay "apollo style" one
causes a ton of lag and lost horsepower.

Check my classifieds. My Z is for sale.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.