TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I hope you have your flame suit on :)
People Seeking Info

Subject I hope you have your flame suit on :)

Posted by DVDBURN (MD) on March 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM
  This message has been viewed 1032 times.

In Reply To No. Not really. posted by Antihero on March 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Message Nothing personal Rick and I hope you take this with a grain of salt. I'm going to have to do the o'l one two punch on your statements since what you said is a lot of misinformation, sorry :)

Number 1.
"The ostrich is a rom emulator."
- And what do you think Nistune is? Some sort of magic? Nistune is nothing more than an emulator too. It's a reprogrammable ROM. Moates and Zim are the same. A reprogrammable ROM.

2. "It does not even have realtime trace, like zemulator does."
- Real time trace has nothing to do with the ROM emulator itself whether it's the Zim, Nistune or the Moates Ostrich. Real time trace is a function of the software. You first have to do a map sync. Nistune's workshop tuning notes PDF explains this for their software and the same thing is done with my software using the Ostrich. You first load a map into the software from the emulator or from a file if the maps are the same in both. The map is then displayed in the software and used to work with when doing real time tuning. When you change a map value during tuning you're changing it in the software to be displayed on the screen and in the rom to be used. The software reads the MAF voltage, RPMs and uses that info with the VQ values to tell you where in the map you are. The software then hi-lites where you are in the map. So MAP tracing with a graphical display is all done in software.
NOTE: Nistune's workshop PDF on MAP syncing says "download maps from the ECU" to sync with the software. Download the map from the ECU means download the map from the NISTUNE BOARD that is in the ECU.

3. "Nistune is more advanced in that it allows tweaking things on the fly "
- No more advanced than Zim or Ostrich and they too allow tweaking things on the fly.

4. "The nistune is plugged into the consult bus"
- And so is the Zim and Ostrich. The consult bus is nothing more than a connection between modules via their micros, ROMs and a PC that may be connected to them and is all done via RS232.

This next bit of info was posted by Zromtech not to long ago. Since Zromtech said it so well I'm just going to quote exactly what he said here. The Ostrich has it's own dedicated USB port and is *much* faster (100x). NIStune uses the CONSULT port which is painfully slow at reading and writing ECU data.

(My input as to why this is). When you talk to the ECU via the consult port to program the ECU (or the Nistune board that's in the ECU) you have to do it through the micro to get to it. Guess what? The micro's "sweet spot" of communication is only 9600BPS. This the best speed to use at which you can be "fairly" sure there are no errors in communication.

(From Zromtech) Secondly, since NIStune uses the CONSULT port, it has to pause the data stream for ~500ms every time it writes. There is a 'hiccup' where no live data is received for ~500ms. This kind of defeats the purpose of 'real-time' tuning when you can't see an immediate result! This is not a problem with the Ostrich as the data stream doesn't have to be stopped.

(My input as to why this is). When you communicate via the consult port the protocal requires you to send a command to start reading sensor data. Before you can write to the Nistune board (send data) via the micro in the ECU (remember, you have to talk to the Nistune board through the micro) you have to send a command to stop the data flow (stop reading info from the MAF, the RPMs etc..) that is used to do the real time map tracing. During this "stop time" you are blind as to where you are on the map. After you've sent the data (or value) you want to write, you then have to send a read command to start the stream again. All of this can actually take longer than 500ms (although Zromtech did say ~500ms:).

5. "The moates can't verify anything at all."
(From Zromtech) The Moates Ostrich verifies the integrity of everything written to the ECU with a checksum. This guarantees that no bad values ever get written. NIStune has no such checksum feature, and will happily write corrupt values to the ECU, leading to potentially disastrous results. One failure I've seen with corrupted NIStunes is the ECU turning on the injectors 100% and dumping fuel until the battery is disconnected. Taking the key out of the ignition doesn't help. YIKES.

(My input) Although the Ostrich does have built-in verify via checksum checking, any software (in the Ostrich's case it's firmware and is hard coded in the Ostrich. With my tuning manager software, when you send a command to the Ostrich you will hear a beep letting you know that the write was successful) can do this too. In programming, YOU create a checksum and how to obtain it. One way to do this is to take all the byte values in the ROM, add them up, divide them by some number and then you have a checksum. Doing this via software will slow things down but embeded programming such as in the Ostrich makes it very fast! If you were to do this via software over a consult port it would take FOREVER! (drawn out on a long echo :)

6. (My input) Nistune has it's own protocal for reading and writing data. Because of this, once you install a Nistune board you can no longer use other software. Many people like to use multiple software with their ECU. Using a NISTune board prevents this which make things like Consult software useless if you already have it.

www.mytwinturbo.com

Nissan Data Voice - The first Nissan diagnostic software with a voice!

Nissan Data Voice on YouTube

Download my Nissan 300ZX Vin/Model Lookup.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.