TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: From what I've read, a Moates Ostrich is better
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: From what I've read, a Moates Ostrich is better

Posted by Stadsport (Nick@CZP) on March 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM
  This message has been viewed 507 times.

In Reply To From what I've read, a Moates Ostrich is better posted by BlackholeZ on March 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Message I've tried the Ostrich and hated it, to be honest. The connection was so finnicky. For it to work with the Z32 ECU, you have to run a "socket booster" or a shorter ribbon cable. I even ran both, and it still had connection issues half the time. Also, it's really designed to be used with TunerPro, which is extremely limited and incapable of displaying the Z32's fuel/timing maps correctly because of the way the values are stored on the maps.

Plus, the Ostrich's USB cable only communicates with the Ostrich itself. It doesn't allow you to log data from the Consult stream easily, so you end up running a Consult cable in addition to the Ostrich.

Consult might seem like a limitation on paper, but in real world use, it works great. Logging speed/accuracy rivals modern standalones, it reads and writes instantly, and it will upload or download the entire ECU ROM in about 5-10 seconds flat. I seriously prefer it to OBDII communication. The software itself is also a lot more capable and can just plain do so much more than you can do with an Ostrich.

Just my 2c, but full disclosure, I'm kind of a Nistune fanboy ;)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.