TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Speaking of track days...
People Seeking Info

Subject Speaking of track days...

Posted by CameronSF on October 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  This message has been viewed 327 times.

Message We competed in another 24 Hours of Lemons on Sept 12-13, piloting our Queen Victoria (2000 Crown Vic) to a respectable 74th out of 216 with both my mom AND stepdad taking turns at the wheel. (they had a blast although my mom's 6:00 lap times weren't setting any course records...my best was a 4:22)

My buddy and I bought the Vic three years back and this was our fourth race figuring out how to pilot 4000 lbs of junk around a track. This was a particularly fun race because it was the first time they opened up the new section of track to the field - making each lap approx. 5 miles long. The extra section of track also allowed a record setting number of cars on the track (literally record setting - our race was submitted to Guiness Book of World Records for the largest starting auto race in the world...we should have confirmation back from London shortly) at 216 but allowing enough room for maneuvering. We had a blast and it is hands down the best way to get a ton of track time for cheap. (14 hours over two days)

Since black flags really kill your overall time my goal for the weekend was to drive quick but clean since there are so many crazies in these races that try to stick a nose into every gap available. There was some serious hijinks but I was able to pilot the car for 5 hours without contact or incident. It definitely slowed my times driving my mirrors and not making more aggressive passes but I still had a blast.

And to keep it all Z related...heroic fix of the weekend occurred when a Z32 piloted by another team blew their motor and ended up procuring the old Thunderhill Pace Car (a NA Z32 that had been sitting in a field), pulled the motor overnight and got it back on the track for Sunday's action. Pretty fun. recap here

Here's a little in car video of an RX7 chasing me around for a lap or two. You can see me leave the inside line open a few times to let him through but he didn't bite until the end where he locks them up and squeezes through. get in where you fit in

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.