TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Here's the background and answers
People Seeking Info

Subject Here's the background and answers

Posted by OverZealous (CT) on October 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM
  This message has been viewed 374 times.

In Reply To Yea, I was leaning in that direction.. posted by Ash's Z on October 25, 2014 at 09:36 AM

Message Wow, Ash! I wasn't expecting you to chime in. Thanks for the response.

First off, here's the (moved to) tech post with the observations that have led me to conclude the valve stem seals are shot.

Have I considered that the observation I consider to be a problem may be a result of a failure in some other part of the system?

Yes, I'm painfully aware of this! This becomes a build objective, risk, cost, and schedule discussion. Talking to many folks I am led to believe that at 150K miles this condition is not unusual. So be it. If my case is however beyond normal wear and tear than replacing the seals is a temporary fix at best. That's the risk. The intent of my current efforts is to simply replace the blown turbo with moderate upgrades, as such I'm not prepared to put significant $$ and time into refurbishing much more than some key exhaust pieces (turbos, Manis, DPs).

Why am I going to replace the exhaust valve stem seals?

Given my goals and the engine is now sitting on the stand I would be rather stupid not to do this little extra work... so long as I don't have to take the heads off. If I'm forced to take the heads off because the cylinder pressurizing method fails at some point it's a whole different ball game. A potential risk for sure!

OverZealous (CT)

My General posts (click)
My Technical posts (click)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.