TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yea, I was leaning in that direction..
People Seeking Info

Subject Yea, I was leaning in that direction..

Posted by Ash's Z on October 25, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  This message has been viewed 332 times.

In Reply To I use air to hold valves up to replace seals all the time. posted by dogpile on October 25, 2014 at 07:28 AM

Message Just didn't have enough experience to say either way..

On the topic, if I were conclude that the seals needed to be replaced I would really be more concerned with the wear on other parts of the system... namely the valve seats, the contact face of the valves, and the guides/stems... Out of all the parts within the valve system, the seals are subjected to the least of wear forces.

This post makes me question why he believes the seals should be replaced. I can't come up with a practical testing method that would be able to conclusively determine if an exhaust valve stem seal was malfunctioning. At best it would require pressurization of the exhaust tract and removal of the retainer/keepers to be able to see if a substantial leak exists at the seal. Given that he is only proposing to pressurize the cylinder to retain the valves in order to remove the retainers/keepers/springs, etc, he hasn't gone this far yet to make the diagnosis...

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.