TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I wish you the best of luck in attempting this process as
People Seeking Info

Subject I wish you the best of luck in attempting this process as

Posted by Ash's Z on October 25, 2014 at 1:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 492 times.

In Reply To Cylinder Compression Tester Recommendation? posted by OverZealous (CT) on October 24, 2014 at 07:26 PM

Message a solution to whatever the problem is you see.

Putting aside what your end goal is here, my question to you is why are you wanting to replace the exhaust valve stem seals?

I can only suspect the reasoning behind this decision is that you are observing blue smoke in your exhaust.... that you are seeing some sort of problem and not just wanting to replace these parts solely for the sake of doing so.

Have you considered that the observation you consider to be a problem may be a result of a failure in some other part of the system?

If the problem really is valve stem seals, have you considered that if these parts are showing signs of wear that is significant enough to become a problem that it is possible that other parts within the same system may also be worn beyond spec and also require overhaul?

What procedure are you using to diagnose the valve stem seals as the source of the problem?

Your approach to pressurizing the cylinder to constrain the valves in order to replace the stem seals will work. I didn't replace a stem seal using this method but I tried this method for shits and kicks one afternoon just to see if it would work on a return-core longblock I had on a stand. I used a compression tester hose in which the schrader valve was removed to allow a reverse flow of air so that the cylinder could be pressurized and proceeded to see if I could remove and reinstall the retainer locks without dropping the valve. The process was uneventful and went just as desired but I dont know if I just got lucky in that one attempt or if the process is actually reliably repeatable. Regardless, even if the valve drops from its seat, all it would require is simply pulling the valve back up to its seat and repeating the reassembly process... So, it is entirely possible to do what you are proposing....

But again, why are you going to replace the exhaust valve stem seals?

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.