TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Have stalling issues with your Intake kit?
People Seeking Info

Subject Have stalling issues with your Intake kit?

Posted by NIVO88T on October 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  This message has been viewed 1223 times.

Message I posted this on the other site but some might use the info here.

Ok guys, Having both Twin Turbo Z cars allows me to experiment with different things on each.

I was trying out the long time issue of wrong placement of the intake on the front of the car, played with the splash guards and in fact I did get the cars to stall with my JWT style intake system and my own intake.

The flower pot mod did work on both cars but....

I used on one car the JWT maf adapter and a Spectre Air filter with the 6" inlet.

On the other car I have the 4" O.D. aluminum maf adapter that goes to 3" I.D. found on Ebay and a larger Spectre air filter.

Now knowing that the issue might be due to turbulence at the meters hot wire due to the short intake tract right away I thought of a way to straighten the air measured by the MAF.

Many cars that have a short intake tract with a MAF right after usually have diverting vanes or the square/honeycomb shaped inserts that straighten the intake air passing over the meters hot wire or sensor wire.

Guys usually take these out for better airflow and was famous in the DSM world. But the unfortunate side effect was turbulence that caused erratic voltages causing stalling, poor idle and bad gas mileage although you gained 3-8 whp.

I decided what If I added that same air straightener to my MAFs?
I have done this to some other cars and has worked out pretty good on those so what the hell right?

I took my MAFs out and took both screens off. Then proceeded to install the Honeycombs I purchased from Saxonpc.com

One is epoxied in and fit tightly in the MAF housing.
The other is in the 4" MAF adapter.
The ones I purchased are the 6:1 ratio in a 75mm size.

Once installed, epoxy dried I went for a cruise. Got the car to speeds of up to 80 mph and pressed the clutch in and low and behold the cars do not stall at all. Previously the car with the huge air filter would bounce the idle then stall at speeds of 50-60 mph or more with the clutch in. Now nothing, stays idle from 80mph on down to 45 mph which is the speeds I tested.

Anti stall mod for larger intakes....YES

Pic:

JWT Set up using a slightly larger Spectre filter.

Alternate set up using the 4" Maf adapter with 10" long Spectre filter.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.