TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - FEA is only useful if you know what boundary conditions to
People Seeking Info

Subject FEA is only useful if you know what boundary conditions to

Posted by black300zx on September 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM
  This message has been viewed 359 times.

In Reply To You use the word "designed". To many this would imply that posted by not4resaleZ on September 24, 2014 at 01:52 PM

Message apply to the model to simulate the real-world loading reasonably well. I've seen plenty of people spend lots of time building FEA and CFD models, only to have the results be meaningless because they didn't have a solid understanding of how the part/structure/system behaved in real life. Hell, I was one of those people when I was first learning CFD and FEA.

It sounds like you're an ME too? FEA modelling is pretty straight forward if you're given the boundary conditions, but it's a different story if you also need to come up with a reasonable estimate of what loads the part will see in use. Just for discussion's sake, if you were designing this caliper adapter, how would you go about estimating the loads it would see? I'd probably pick a target stopping distance, back calculate what the total average friction force (tire to pavement) would need to be to achieve that deceleration rate, pick a reasonable front/rear bias, and then back out what the force on the caliper in the direction tangent to the rotor sweep would be. Distributing that force onto the caliper mounting holes should be a decent first cut to see where you stand. Depending on how much (or how little) FOS I had would determine whether or not I'd need to refine the force estimates.

In the transverse direction (in the direction of the caliper piston travel), you'd also need to consider how much force the bracket would see if one piston were to seize and the clamping force wasn't balanced.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.