TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Jamie's build
People Seeking Info

Subject Jamie's build

Posted by JDAVE on September 24, 2014 at 3:28 AM
  This message has been viewed 1584 times.

Message I've known Jamie for over 20 years. Grew up across the street, hungout everyday as kids. When I was 16 I got my first Z. Jamie had a dodge stratus on some sweet 16" wheels and Midas special exhaust. My car was a frame damaged 2+2 with a Stillen front bumper and the loudest most obnoxious exhaust (came with it) you'll ever hear on a Z. Jamie has seen me working on Z's since that day and doing a twin turbo build in the driveway with AndrewZ (mo) on hot humid days during the summer breaks in college. Jamie went to school to be a body man. I was still in college and had started a business parting out salvage Z cars and doing minor labor on some here and there. Andrew and I had a job installing some HID's and jspec's etc on a customers 1992 300zx on the ugliest set of pep boy wheels you can imagine on a Z32. Sean King came over and did a boost controller install on it with us. The car needed some body work done and Jamie stepped up and painted/installed some after market panels for the customer. Jamie really liked the car and ended up making the customer on offer and purchasing it from him a couple years later. Shortly there after I sold him a set of Stillen enkei wheels and he swapped those on. Well one night while driving it a year or so after purchasing, the car ran out of fuel in boost (we assume) and the motor turned into a meat grinder. Jamie sent the car down with me and wanted 500whp. I built him a 530whp car with a wiseco/eagle bottom end, stock heads/cams, 850cc injectors, single 485 pump, stock IC piping, 2560r turbos, 2.5" exhaust, high 5 clutch, and a selin dual intake with Mickey Thompson ET streets that hooked in first gear. He drove the car to Z fest and enjoyed it but Mike and I made the mistake of running against Jamie's car and after 1000 hard miles Jamie had the itch for more power so the fun really began. Jamie said he wanted at least 650rwhp and wanted to trick it out a little so here's what we added

Twin 485 pumps.
-6 in tank to -8 all the way to the rails
Aeromotive FPR
MSP manifolds
GT3071 turbos
Forge actuators
Nistune with flex fuel
Full 3" exhaust (specialty Z with Z1 cat back)
UR pulley set
Ethanol content gauge
Fuel pressure gauge
Battery relocate
PCV catch can
2.5" inlets
2.5 " IC's and Intercoolers
Full powertrix adjustable arm set
New front tires
BC coilovers
Cadillac CTS-V brembo brake kit (4 piston)
Cadillac CTS-V brake lines
Drilled and slotted brembo rotors front and rear
Koyo radiator
Larger capacity oil cooler

I'll cut to the chase. Jamie comes in on a Saturday as we are buttoning up his car to hang out. Sunday rolls around and our tuner (Mike Jackson) comes in to tune the new set up. We were able to achieve 739whp and 709wtq on 35psi with a conservative tune with more left in it for later. Ran a tad higher fuel pressure and the duty on the injectors reached a peak of 90%. The car runs flawlessly, is very easy and fun to drive around, and puts all of the 739whp to the ground in second gear. The Cadillac brakes stop on a dime. We had to fab up some things to pull this set up off and thanks to Scott Aiken's help on the brakes we were able to mount the set up correctly and safely with some beefy brackets. No flexing or any of that BS. It gets from 0-120-0 before you can come to terms with what just occurred. Jamie hopped in his car and drove it back 200 miles on a half a tank of e85 (e70 really) to St. Louis. Since then as I hear he's been taking friends out for rides and so far he says people are just speechless with the amount of power and how it works on the street. While some may frown upon the amount of power we are putting into these street cars for whatever reason, if you want a turn-key purpose built roll race machine that works on the street that you can reliably drive to the track and back feel free to give us a shout as we love building some of the most powerful and reliable Z's on the street.

Shout outs to the following as this wouldn't have been possible without my team:

Scott Taylor
Mike Jackson
Andrew Eckert
Scott Aiken
Charles Wittmore

Thanks Jamie for letting us do what needed to reach and surpass your goals. Let it eat.

Final numbers 739whp 709wtq on ethanol

photo 1A2C025C-0082-42DE-8035-EEE31EDADF8F_zpsogxp5c44.jpg

photo 42DB85C6-3D4D-4BFF-B102-5A74A2FD5D1E_zpsdcqdpph5.jpg

photo 72BBB87F-87DA-4114-9DD8-1C6CBC62F614_zps5zwdztey.jpg

Pic before we buttoned up the bay
 photo 323E1B32-FF99-4697-870D-6C0BA8426FB7_zps9niekj7v.jpg

Maybe Mike can post a pic of the whole graph I didn't snap a very good one the other night
 photo 0AA20978-03C4-4CF8-84E7-2826D7100D7B_zpsdumthamf.png

photo DBDD39FD-E2A8-49A1-A222-D64075CC02BD_zpsr99c2x89.jpg

Jamie took some videos and better pictures on his phone. Maybe he can post one of the dyno video but if you're friends with me on Facebook they are all on my page. Especially the one when it first hit 35 psi on the rollers and I didn't know what to do with my hands.

Going to sleep now as we have to get started on Travis Nelson's 2860 build in 6 hours (ArkansasTurbo).

I love my job

-Jon

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.