TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - A lot of things overlooked.........
People Seeking Info

Subject A lot of things overlooked.........

Posted by Schmeal (NV) on September 22, 2014 at 2:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 440 times.

In Reply To Designing properly is one thing posted by ZXRider on September 22, 2014 at 01:50 PM

Message In my experience first article testing can be bypassed by proper analysis, material certification and the use of a factor of safety. However, to have certified material at one point the supplier will test samples.

Then again this is only in my experience. I don't work in the automotive world so I'm unaware of their practices and standards. Our projects are one off's that are used one time. I have never done a fatigue/life study which I believe is required for parts like this. Who knows, maybe and extensive sample test is required for a caliper bracket...

Much like BlackholeZ said, I would also avoid this project as i lack the relevant experience and knowledge of brake systems. I have never had to life a part. Even professionals need to "know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em". All this of course was overlooked by "Joe Schmoe" with an angle grinder and a drill press in his garage.

Me and many others in my field take pride in our work. We go out of our way to design and manufacture things that don't fail and kill people. We take this VERY seriously.

-------------------------------------------------
Work on your own car, and don't half ass it.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.