TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Some perspective
People Seeking Info

Subject Some perspective

Posted by ThisIsSparTTa on September 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  This message has been viewed 249 times.

In Reply To Is it hard to swap a engine ? posted by Devonz32 on September 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Message Before my first engine pull last year I had completed a few plenum pulls and other various maintenance.

For my first time, removing the exhaust, driveshaft and then transmission including the devil upper bolts probably took 4 hours minimum. I could probably do this in 2-3 hours now.

Engine prep up top to pull is most of what you'd do for a plenum pull, plus removing the radiator. I could do this in 2-3 hours now, but would take a novice 4-5+ hours. Depending on how you're attaching the hoist to the engine, this may take longer.

Pulling the engine out the first time was quite daunting in an of itself, we probably spent at least 1-1.5 hours just getting it lifted up and out. Could do it in <30 minutes now.

Then you have to remove clutch/flywheel, etc etc etc etc

Getting the engine onto the stand the first time was also a huge pain, now I've learned lots of tricks.

Then, while you have the engine out, you'll probably want to clean the bay up, and tackle various odd jobs on the motor too. More time, more money.

Some day you're ready to put it back in. Putting it back in the first time probably took us at least 2-3 hours, not including the fact that we realized we had the downpipes on wrong. Getting transmission mounted back up can take forever and a day as it doesn't cooperate. Then driveshaft, exhaust, etc.

That's just time.

You're going to need a hoist, engine stand, transmission jack, 4 jack stands, sockets and wrenches from 8mm-17mm, 24mm for PS and 27mm for crank, and tons and tons more.

It's tough work. It takes a long time. It takes money for tools and parts you didn't think you were going to need.

Is it doable? Sure, you have tons of internet resources. You just need the will to learn, and lots of patience.

Only you can make the call. Just know its going to be expensive, time consuming and take a long time, especially for your first time.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.