TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - If you go built just be careful with how you have the block
People Seeking Info

Subject If you go built just be careful with how you have the block

Posted by zxtuner161 on September 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  This message has been viewed 599 times.

In Reply To Built motor question. Worth a shot posted by BigTDogg (MA) on September 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Message bored/honed. Im assuming this is a ej255, but it applies to all of them. Look into diamond honing/boring if you go oversize. The issues with them are that they are very hard to bore straight, any deflection when boring as a result of pressure from cutting even with a torque plate often times results in crooked cylinders and ultimatly cracked sleeves. As long as whoever is doing the machine work knows how to do blocks requiring that kind of precision or has built subaru motors before you will be fine. But subaru blocks are def not ones to take to someone who is trying it for the first time lol.

That being said, again assuming this is a ej255/57 I would never put a stock piston one back in. Theres guys around here that have cracked ringlands that are bone stock. IMO it is just not worth the risk for how expensive those motors are.

If you are purchasing an already rebuilt motor, most of the time they are fresh oem motors that are disassembled and then they replace the pistons with drop in forged slugs. These are more likely to have piston slap warming up due to machining inconsistencies between subaru blocks. The ideal setup if you have a proper engine builder would be a small overbore and oversize forged slugs.

Here is my corn fueled daily driver

"I think its great that I can make a civilized post
among you greater life forms only to have my breasts ripped off by savage
milk craving z people."

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.