TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: There's a lot to think about venting a hood
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: There's a lot to think about venting a hood

Posted by MaxxAction on August 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM
  This message has been viewed 330 times.

In Reply To There's a lot to think about venting a hood posted by BlackholeZ on August 28, 2014 at 05:43 PM

Message I don't think it is as much about power as is size and material. The aluminum block sheds heat at a much higher rate than the iron block, and it is almost twice the displacement. The LS motor is several inches longer, and with the LOJinnovations kit, the heads are literally a couple of inches from the firewall, and it sets much closer the radiator and core support in the front, and air can't flow around the engine as well. So After driving it around for a couple of hours, you can feel the heat radiating off the floor and the firewall. It heat soaks everything under the hood.

The LS guys I have talked to say that the temps I am hitting aren't a problem, that the LS motor is most efficient around 200 to 210 degrees, which is exactly where the motor likes to run. I I run it hard through the gears a few times, it will climb to about 215, it will come back to around 205 if I am moving slowly, and under 200 on the interstate. But if I am sitting still, it struggles to pull enough air out of the bay to bring the temps back down.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.