TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: If you have an aftermarket undamped pulley
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: If you have an aftermarket undamped pulley

Posted by agent4573 on August 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 236 times.

In Reply To If you have an aftermarket undamped pulley posted by -Grimm- on August 26, 2014 at 02:48 PM

Message No you can't, We found that out the hard way. Almost every pulley I can find a picture of uses a thick (1/2" or so) center section of material that holds up the "middle" belt groove. The pulley closest to the engine is supported off the middle belt section and has no real support going straight to the core of the pulley. We didn't realize this before we attempted to part off the last 2 sections of the pulley and instead we ended up parting the closest pulley that I needed. Best you can do is part off the smaller pulley on the end and then face the core support down from 1/2" to 1/4" or so and take the grooves off the middle section and put a nice chamfer on it. It was a really stupid mistake that we didn't catch, but its also not as easy as just chucking it up and running a parting tool through it either. Thats why I was hoping someone might know of a different car that runs the same crank diameter with only a single pulley. BTW, I have a really nice pulley for sale that only has the outter 2 groove sections left. It'll work really nice if you're not running a water pump or alternator :)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.