TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - The main thing is while these do flow better,the consistency
People Seeking Info

Subject The main thing is while these do flow better,the consistency

Posted by Ash's Z on July 29, 2014 at 11:50 PM
  This message has been viewed 585 times.

In Reply To I'm curious to know if there is any tangible gain to be posted by LJZTT on July 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Message of flow is what is most important to me.

At the end of the exhaust stroke when the piston reaches top dead center, the flowrate of each runner plays an important role in how well the cylinder is evacuated of exhaust gases. There is always latent exhaust still in the cylinder at the end of the exhaust stroke but how well the runner flows will have an effect on each cylinder and how much remaining exhaust gas and pressure remains in the cylinder at the moment the exhaust valves close.

The more latent pressure/heat that is left in the cylinder will work against getting fresh air into the cylinder and thus affect the amount of power the cylinder will produce at the next power stroke. Additionally, the more latent exhaust that remains in the cylinder, the more likely the cylinder is to detonate as these hot exhaust gases will raise the total air/fuel charge temperature.

Balancing the amount of exhaust that each cylinder evacuates in its exhaust stroke is an important factor to power and reliability of the engine. The other aspect is the intake manifold, of which I have a new design for and will be putting tools to metal next week to construct the first prototype and begin dyno testing on shortly thereafter.

Between these two parts (intake and exhaust manifolds) we should see pretty notable gains in power as the balance of airflow is brought more equally. Additionally, the new plenum design and the higher flowrate of these new manifolds should further add to the performance of the powerplant.

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.