TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I can add a little.....
People Seeking Info

Subject I can add a little.....

Posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on July 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 931 times.

In Reply To Here, cleaned up graph of Q16 and 104 vs E85 on a Z posted by dogpile on July 23, 2014 at 06:13 PM

Message TOP 3 fuels for power
E85, Q-16, and C-16 will all allow max boost and max timing that produces power.

C-16 burns the slowest and makes the least power of the 3.

Q-16 is oxygenated and burns faster than C-16, makes significant more power than C-16.

E85 has a cooling effect that makes it magic compared to gasoline. Easily makes the most power when properly tuned.

Most other race fuels are lower octane, the fact the octane is lower requires running lower boost and lower timing as they are more detonation sensitive.

In my experience, turbos with similar compressor and turbine wheels shine on the Z32. Turbos with mis-matched wheels do not perform as well.
The stock turbo has very close wheel sizes on both sides..
The 2554 has similar wheel sizes on both sides...
The 2860 has similar wheel sizes on both sides...
The 3071 has similar wheel sizes on both sides..
All of the above perform awesome on a Z32 with breather mods.
The turbos with mis-matched wheels are the 2560, 2871, 2867. These 3 turbos all have significantly smaller exhaust wheels compared to the compressor, this causes the turbo to work harder to spool the larger, heavier, compressor, limiting the top end flow.
Having a matching exhaust wheel offers more leverage to spin the heavier compressor, this allows the turbo to self feed faster and not choke off the power on top.

If you let the engine breath, the larger turbos respond extremely well. With breather mods and head work, the 700 (GT2860RS, Also the GTX2860R) spools as fast or faster than any of the larger than stock turbos, they even respond as quick as a stock turbo with breather mods.

Here is a well set up 700 turbo car (GT2860RS) and a stock turbo car with all breather mods, both on E85.
Notice the 500 torque at 4000 RPM.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.