TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - TwinZ Design Type II Front Lip Installation Suggestion
People Seeking Info

Subject TwinZ Design Type II Front Lip Installation Suggestion

Posted by sbarge on June 02, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 2723 times.

Message I never found any installation instructions so after some experimenting here is how I was able to get mine on.

Put the front of car on jack stands and remove front wheels. Remove forward underbody plastic and remove enough bolts/screws from the wheel well plastic to get your arm inside to reach the inner bottom of the bumper.

Using a ¼’’ drill bit, drill out all the forward dimples in the lip. Do this outside and wipe down the lip afterwards to prevent getting fiberglass on yourself cause it's endlessly annoying. I have no idea what the dimple on the rear part of the lip are for and I never drilled them out.

The Type II lip fits very, very tight onto the bumper. When I tried to just set the lip in place I thought there was no way it was going on without a bunch of sanding and/or cutting. It does fit, but it required a lot of force to get there.

Use a floor jack and a piece of wood to support the lip at the very front of the bumper to hold it up and in place. Starting at the end of the lip, press it tight into the bottom corner of the bumper and drill a hole into the bottom of the bumper through the pilot hole you already drilled in the lip with the 1/4'' bit. Secure the lip using the hardware provided with a washer on top and bottom. Go to the other side of the car and secure it the same way.

Use the floor jack to press the lip up onto the bumper and into place. This will require a reasonable amount of force and the sides not supported won't be in place.

Now you need another jack and block of wood. I use a small bottle jack and short piece of 2x4. Starting at the end of the lip, use the jack to press the lip tight up against the bumper right next to the next open pilot hole. Drill into the bumper and secure it with hardware.

Make sure to lip is tight against the bumper and there is no gap between the lip and bumper before you drill the hole!!

Move to the other side of the car and repeat the process on the same hole on the opposite side. Continue working your way forward until you reach the front and the lip is fully secured to the bumper using all the pilot holes.

The lip fits like a glove with no gap even between the lip and center up-step section in the bumper. It seems very secure with the hardware provided.

If you don't want to pay to have the lip painted you can use vinyl wrap. I used this on the TwinZ side skirts and rear diffuser at least 6 months ago and they still look perfect. I got 3M 1080 M12 Scotchprint Matte Black Vinyl Wrap from Metrorestyling.com for $30 shipped which matches pretty well with the OEM window trim and new matte black pin stripping I used.

I'm going to drive around for a week or two to make sure I don't randomly destroy the lip before I wrap it. It's pretty low but it does look awesome. TwinZ did a really good job on these.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.