TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - STL Z32 700RWHP club: dyno analysis GTX vs GTRS, 400+ vs 500
People Seeking Info

Subject STL Z32 700RWHP club: dyno analysis GTX vs GTRS, 400+ vs 500

Posted by maglito on April 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 4680 times.

Message For the last three years tt.net member Petar has worked to get Greg and Seb from specialtyZ to come to STL to tune his and other area guy’s Z32s. Here is a post from the first trip in 2011. Most of us were just not really prepared (especially myself) and there weren’t too many high HP STL Z32 cars yet then. In 2012 Petar upgraded his turbos to the GTX2863 with full ash piping and SpecialtyZ guys came back to tune his car on E85 and among others also tuned RAGTPZ's very sweet convertible. Petar never had a chance to post his 789RWHP 2012 dyno, but told me I could post it for him here for comparison purposes. This year a local guys Dennis and Alam dyno’d among others. Denis went before I did (grey car) and achieved 726RWHP, Alam went after me (black car) but had head gasket problems so I didn’t get his dyno run files. Alam and Denis’s buddy Edin made a video of the event featuring all three of our cars (and some crazy color shifting). There are no numbers but lots of video of dyno pulls. If you just want the numbers, skip the video, but if you want the experience of being there (perhaps while tripping) check it out. Incase the youtube inbed code doesn't work here is a direct link to the video:La-Z-Link

Today, we will be comparing the dyno runs of three cars:

mine (full mod book in profile):
GT2860RS, JWT 400+ cams, aliaZspec stage2 heads, super tech valves, ash intake, massives, BDE adjustable gears, ID1000cc, E85
maglito=runfile_016

Me alone, barely making it into the 700RWHP club (for full details on this run click the link in my sig or right here.

Petar: GTX2863, JWT 500 cams, stock heads, ash intake piping, massives, adjustable gears, ID1000cc, E85
2012 dyno pull, dip in the chart is due to wheel slip on the dyno(even with 3 guys in the trunk), and breaking a tiedown strap. So, you could attempt to visualize/interpolate the chart without the dip, making the curves smooth (perhaps this isn’t correct for an inertial dyno but that discussion is out of the scope of this write up).
Petar=Run009

Me and Petar

You can see due to the extensive porting on my heads vs a stock head, my turbos begin building boost much more quickly. This results in significantly more torque before 5k RPM. Although, it should be noted that Petar is coming from GT2860RS turbos and says these GTX2863 turbos spool much more quickly than his old turbos in real driving. And it is really amazing what kind of top end you can get with the GTX2863 plus JWT500 cams and all the breather bolt ons (no exotic coatings or porting). I’m sure when he stomps the gas in 3rd gear at 4500RPM, it is INSANE. I have yet to try that on my car with this new E85 tune and boost turned up...

Dennis: GT2860RS, JWT 500 cams, IPP stage2 heads, stock valves, ash intake piping, massives, full breather mods, BDE adjustable gears, ID1000cc, E85
Dennis=RunFile011-E85

Me and Dennis

Dennis’s car has an IPP long block with IPP stage2 heads, and while I have no doubt my aliaZspec stage2 heads outflow anything coming out of IPP -- the difference above stock heads for both these ported heads is significant. Also, all the attention to detail porting aliaZ did with my entire engine means it likely flows more air than the IPP long block but this still ends up being a pretty decent comparison of JWT 400+ cams and 500 cams You can see 400+ cams are basically a trade for more usable power <5700RPM, much higher peak torque and flatter power delivery at the top end VS the 500 cams trade all that for more peak power at the highest RPMs. It is very clear when looking just at both the torque curves.

I know a big part of what make’s my Z’s torque so awesome really is the aliaZspec stage2 heads. And in his spare time aliaZ has been working to make an even higher flowing, reproducible head porting technique resulting in: The aliaZspec stage3 heads
I’ve been asking him for progress on this project and he thinks he might have everything worked out by the fall / winter to start accepting heads for a core charge and start offering his stage3 heads to the community. So, if you want a torque curve like mine (or even better), don’t run out to your nearest machine shop asking them to port your heads. Stay tuned and by the end of the year perhaps aliaZ will be ready to take your money!

I hope this writeup was useful to people and want to be sure to say the STL Z32 700RWHP club is about to get much bigger as Alam fixes his head gasket issue, Mark’s car gets fixed, and JDave works out his engine/turbo combination. Also Petar and I want to get SeanK in the club for all the helps he’s been to both of us, but we’ll see about that I guess!

Thanks!

m a g l i t o
E85 conversion COMPLETE --700RWHP, 683TQ on corn not fed to starving children
my Z is not for sale
The build up begins - progress - reassembly part one - part two - aliaZspec stage2 heads - 2013 SpecialtyZ dynotune results
Links with working pictures of my Z -> Gateway International Raceway HPDE 2007 - Putnam Park HPDE 2007 (data acquisition analysis) - Chicago Z meet 2007

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.