TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - New efan set up I have been working on and testing.
People Seeking Info

Subject New efan set up I have been working on and testing.

Posted by Woody75 (Denver) on September 06, 2012 at 12:35 AM
  This message has been viewed 3916 times.

Message So most of you know I tried Ash's efan set up a few years ago when it came out and for me (as well as a lot of others) it failed miserably. I ended up going back to stock where I had no issues. But I always wanted to find an efan set up that work. I like the space it provides at the front of the engine and I would also like to show off the shiney parts you can't normally see :).

I rebuilt my engine this summer and it took way longer than expected so I missed the hottest days of the summer. And we had a record setting summer here as well. Wanted to test this out as much as I could during the hottest temps. Guess that will happen in Phoenix now. But so far no issues.

So here's what I got. I had been reading up and collecting parts for a Ford Taurus fan conversion. I know SZ runs this set up and has installed a few and has had no issues. There are a few other Z guys out there as well that use this set up. Also if you google it, they are being installed on pretty much everything because of how well they work. Well with my engine and set up, I wanted something that looked a bit better when installed. I came across a post about a Volvo fan that worked as good as the Taurus one. It's out of a few different models, I got mine from a Volvo 850 I think.

Here it is stock.

It was way too large to fit the TT radiator. One nice thing about this fan though is it unbolts from the shroud and then you have a normal round fan like most aftermarket fans, like so:

I found that it's about 1" smaller than the Taurus fan over all but uses the same fan motor and blade shape/set up. So with that I needed a shroud. I looked into getting just a fiberglass molded shroud for my Koyo from Ash but I never heard back. A local Z'er had one made for me at his job. It wasn't exactly how I wanted it, but it was free so I can't complain too much. They were a tad off on some measurements so I had to mod it a bit. But its your basic box shaped shroud. Has a overhang on the top to help when installing/bolting it onto the radiator which was handy.

I got out my powdercoating setup and I powdercoated it quick

Few bolts and some sealant foam and it was ready to go.

There are lots of ways people are running/controlling the fan. To run it I found a very easy way to do it...use the stock temp sensor and the ecu programing. The nice thing about this fan is its a 2 speed fan. It also has its own volvo 2 speed relay that makes wiring it up very easy. No bung and extra temp sensors. No wiring up relays here and there.

Here is the stock Volvo 2 speed relay. All these parts can be grabbed at a junk yard, or ebay, etc. I got mine from the local pull and pay (grabbed a couple).

The fan plugs right into the relay. Then all there is to hook up is a power wire right to the battery, a ground and the 2 wires that trigger the 2 speeds of the fan. The TT Z uses a 2 speed cooling fan for the AC system. The stock Z AC fan relays are triggered by a ground signal sent at a set temp from the ecu. I bypassed the stock relays and now have this signal going to the Volvo relay. Low and high just stock. Then using Z ecu programing I set the on and off temps for when the 2 speeds of the fan will work.

I wanted it to be as plug and play as it can be so that if I did have issues I could easily remove it. So using some parts from old harnesses and parts cars I made a jumper cable that connected into the factory wiring harnees by the main fuse box in the engine bay. This jumper cuts out the signal to the stock AC fan relays and lets me send the signal instead to the Volvo relay. The small connector is what goes off to the Volvo relay signal wires.

At this point you can remove the stock AC fan for better air flow as well as it will not be used anymore. Its no longer even powered or wired into the system, the stock relays are dead as they will never get the signal from the ecu to turn on. I have my fan in still as I'm still testing things out. I'll remove it when I am happy everything works 100%.

Fan and shroud installed with no issues. There is plenty of clearance. I also made the hole in the shroud large enough that I can back mount the fan if needed to give me some more clearance. But so far I do not need that. Ignore the wires as I only have it temp installed while I test it. I'll have it cleaned up before heading to zcon.

So far I have had no issues. I set the low speed of the fan to come on at 190 and to turn off at 180. These are just the temps I set the ecu up to begin with. I can change it to anything as I test more. It's worked flawlessly so far. At night when I'm testing I don't notice any voltage spikes when the fan turns on when driving or while stopped at a light. I have my headlights running, stereo amp, etc. The only way I can tell when the fan turns on is by seeng a small voltage drop on the Techtom and the volt meter I have on my turbo timer. Also I'm monitoring the temps via the Techtom and VDO gauge I have installed. When the fan turns on the temp drops very fast. Takes about 10-15 sec max for it to go from 190 to 180. Once it hits 180 the fan turns off and the temps slowly start to rise and cycle continues.

During the day in 90 degree temps it still works like it should, no issues. But I've only had 1 day of daytime testing so far. I'll get more in this weekend. I did some AC testing though. I set the high temp setting when using AC to be 200 and off at 190. Again, worked as it should and as soon as it hit 200 the temp would start to drop and go down to 190 and start over. So far the high speed of the fan hasn't even kicked on yet.

I'm also running a stock thermostat so I could have more legit testing numbers. I used to run a nismo thermostat. I ran almost too cool all the time. I would hardly ever hit 180 when driving on the highway, stayed around 165-170. While being cool is nice, thats too cool for the ecu programing in most cases. Was great for the track where I was pushing the car but no so much for the street. So its nice to be back to a stock-like temp that is controlled/controllable.

Still got a lot of testing to do but so far things are looking and working great. Far better than I expected considering my past efan experiences. I'll post an update most likely after Phoenix. I'm making sure to take my stock fan and such with me as well just in case ;).

JackB nimble JackB quick JackB can suck my dick =P - james-lee 11/02/01
Arrogance is the #1 weapon against Supra Owners - MikeH 08/06/02
Dallas with a Z: I like the bulge dude 05/02/03
Bezbefootball: Does dick have anything for me? 10/21/03

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.