TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Product reveiw Of a EP racing Engine!
People Seeking Info

Subject Product reveiw Of a EP racing Engine!

Posted by 94ttz32 on October 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM
  This message has been viewed 1792 times.

Message Just wanted to give the Public a Review Of the engine that I had Ep racing (Mitch in TX) build for me. Im just going to point out all the facts GOOD AND BAD!And let You make your comments on what you think of what I got!

Ok I received the Engine back From Mitch clean and looked great. Mitch was very helpful through the deal!
I installed the engine and broke it in when I received it with no miles the compression was 120psi
I did the break in as Mitch told me to. Compression Came up to 140 on most cylinders one of them only 135

So after driving it for a bit car seemed to make decent power and Then I get a oil leak at the front crank near oil pump. It was pouring around 1000 miles or so. Mitch stated that it must be a warped oil pump flange or block. I bought the oil pump from Mitch. And he did the assembly It ruined a new timing belt by soaking it with oil and made a mess!
The next problem I had was the exhaust manifold bolts began to back off.He did a full build on this including mounting all turbos and exc.
Well with that I could not get to some of them and the exhaust leaks burt the gaskets out. SO I had to pull engine and replace gaskets and tighten exhaust manifold bolts down never had a problem with them again after I tighten them.
Also I had Mitch do coatings on the some parts of engine such as turbine housing and exhaust manifolds that show to be rusting now it spots and coating was no present on entire manifold as it was starting to come off.

At about 1500 miles after just getting the engine back in and going again a dam cam seal blew ruining the second timing belt by oil again.
Well after a weekend at z days car ran good and had lots of fun... I now have 3,000 miles on the ep racing engine and blew a front oil pump seal and ruining timing belt number 3 and making a mess. At this point had to tear front of engine down to fix again my powered coated parts are now showing some where. I believed all these seals were blowing due to excessive blow by on piston rings. PVc was put in new at the time of rebuild and was showing to be working well.
Mitch stated that I need a catch can so I installed the breather filters at this time. Not sure why I need a catch can as other have same turbos running 16psi and no issues.

Next I moved the car to 18 psi with ASH spec tune and the car ran nice. The car has always been some what of a rich tune as the tune before that was wot 10.5.10.8 and the new ash spec tune was wot 10.8-11.1. Car felt great and seemed to be making good power. Timing was set at 15degrees.
Sadley at 5,000 miles the engines head gasket let go. Mitch did all machining on heads and block. I used a cometic head gasket that has been know to some to do this. So at this point I tour it down to replace headgasket with OEm gaskets.
While I had it out the car I removed the oil pan to check to see how the bearing was holding up and seen about 3 or 4 of the bearings to have some bad smudging on the sides and did not look to be wearing even and some scratches showing on the jounerals and crank. They did not caught your finger nail but with such low miles I would not think they would look this way and three other reputable builder here in this community told me not to reinstall them bearings as they looked like shit. Also one of the main bearing did have a score in it that you could catch your finger nail in! Mitch said that it looked like the car had detonated but the other three builders said they looked at pistons and heads and seen no signs of that.I then

Took two of the pistons out to check the coatings on the side of the pistons he did to see how they were holding up and found that they were about rubbed off also. Once I took the pistons out I sent him a picture and he then stated that I would have to rebuild the engine as it would not reseat the rings . So the only way was to do a complete rebuild at this time. So I was curious and check with the other three builds that its funny all three said that's not true and I could put that exact pistons back in the same cylinder and compression would come right back as it was.

Two of the builder said bull shit when I told then and said that he was trying to force me into a rebuild! The Builders that I speak of are three companys that we all trust on here that build engines and great products for a are cars but I wanted to leave the names out! Two in FLORIDA and one in California.
During this I was talking to Mitch about the would I need to do to put this engine back together and he help me over the phone but then sent me a text stating that he was not being compensated for his time and wish I would send the engine back to him to rebuild and recharge me.
I put engine back together with new bearings and new oem headgaskets and the compression is now in the 160's on all cylinders and engine runs fine again with no leaks as i did the whole assembly my self this time!
Im not bad mouthing anyone and just stating the fact of what took place on here with my engine all the statements are true and if I self inflicted them some home please tell. Iv noticed one thing about Mitch that he has a answer for all and does not take blame for anything. If you need to research some of his threads with other problems he has had and look at his responses for them as it looks like Hess never wrong.Mitch was helpful and did help a lot but after the comment of the compensated thing and all the business I sent him and promoting I did by passing his cards and flyers out at z con and z nats I had enough. I also sent him another build that I have here in my shop that I pray is right for a friend of mine a while back before I realize that I think I just had one to many things go wrong with this build of mine that he did!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.