TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I love it when a plan comes together
People Seeking Info

Subject I love it when a plan comes together

Posted by Tech@EPR on June 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  This message has been viewed 2509 times.

Message Sup TT.net family!

Well some time ago I started drawing up ideas on a few new projects on what I wanted to offer to the Z community. My list while slightly long, had what I felt were some really unique ideas and so forth planned out. What I focused on first was the need for a full out race oil pan. I began to look around what was available. Looked at other oil pans for other engines that were out and looked to see what I could incorporate into a newly designed one off full sheet metal fabbed pan. To include all the design ques I had been looking into I wanted to source my idea and input to a reputable company thats been in the oil pan/racing business for decades. So I gave a call to a close buddy of mine at Moroso and brought up the idea of what I was wanting to do and he jumped on the idea. I started giving him dimensions and ideas of what I was looking for and he was able to plot out what I was picturing. I wanted to use a reputable company to make the best quality product available so naturally Moroso was my choice.

I sent him a few parts to do test mock up on certain prototype ideas we had rolling around in our head and finally turned to a business friend in the community to lend a hand. Rich from RDZ immediately jumped on board in lending me a hand in what I needed. He was very excited to hear about what I was doing and what else was coming to the table really soon. Rich did me a HUGE favor and hand delivered a block to my buddy at Moroso to begin the final stages of fab work to produce this new oil pan we had been working on.

Weeks went by...phone calls...drawings....double checking clearances...area etc etc. We finally came up with a final drawing model that we both agreed would suit my needs and the needs to ALL Z32 enthusiasts.

First drawing rendered

After those two drawings were submitted we saw that the stock pickup tube was going to be an issue. So we immediately went back to the table and made a modified version to not only fit better for this oil pan but is also serviceable. No more replacing oil pick up tubes with your engine build!!!!

Once the pickup tube was fashioned and drawn up into place I received a mock up demo core to test fit onto the block. So far things looked promising. You could see the beginnings of a new product emerging!

A month or so went by. I got super busy here at the shop with customers builds and so forth but was still working when I could on this oil pan design with Moroso. Finally got some time to drop the mock up pan on another block and dropped it in the car. I immediately saw that this pan could go bigger in nearly every direction! I was amazed at how much room (considering we don't have much to work with to begin with) we had to work with.

After we went back to the drawing board in finding where we could increase capacity in the area we came up with a new rendering...

Then a final cutaway view was drawn to show how everything inside was going to look. I was amazed at what my buddy had come up with! It was PERFECT!

A few weeks after this last drawing was proposed and approved Moroso hit the green light and got moving on getting me the first pan. I received the pan yesterday and took photos of the new creation.

I was SO excited to get this pan in the mail yesterday. I came into the shop this morning and immediately fitted the pan on a bare block I had on the shelf. This oil pan is the biggest pan I've ever seen for the Z32!!!!

New pick up tube fitted

And now the oil pan!!!!!!

Looking through the pics some may think that this pan doesn't fit...but I assure you this pan fits PERFECTLY in place. It clears everything just as it should. A nice touch to this oil pan is that it has a built in windage screen in it which is a huge improvement over stock. These pans will also be black zinc plated for corrosion resistance.

Now some are asking..."whats the capacity??"...Well I've managed to swing a massive 8QTs of oil into this pan. Thats right fellas...8QTs!!!!! This new oil pan once fitted and hooked up with your oil cooler and oil filter has a rough capacity of 10+QTs!!! Thats the most out of any oil pan offered to date.

Ok now the slight draw backs.....(theres always some minor details that need to addressed) This oil pan requires the end user to use an oil filter relocation kit. This MUST be done! Also, the lower transmission brackets do not work since the bulk of the body is too wide for the brackets to work properly. However, 6 bolts holding the trans is more than enough to suffice for the transmission. But, I am drawing up new brackets to work with this oil pan so that the user can purchase these and use them like stock and will fit around this oil pan. I plan to have those done in a few weeks. As for now though owners will have no issue running without the lower brackets.

An additional windage tray will be available for this oil pan as well. It will bolt onto the girdle and make the crank case around the crankshaft fully enclosed. This greatly reduced windage in the assembly and promotes less parasitic drag.

Now everyones asking.."how much?"

The EP Racing Pro Outlaw 8QT Oil pan sells for $675. It includes the brand new pickup tube!

As stated above a new windage tray and trans brackets are going to be available soon. These pans are built to order and take approx 7-14 days to fabricate. These are for sale NOW!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.