TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My biggest concern is the coating within the intercoolers
People Seeking Info

Subject My biggest concern is the coating within the intercoolers

Posted by Ash's Z on April 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 987 times.

In Reply To I've talked about doing a pcv delete with friends posted by spdrmn15 on April 20, 2011 at 07:21 PM

Message that will lower their thermal efficiency. There is only a thin boundary layer that conducts the heat from the hot charge gases into the fins within the core and coating the aluminum down with a layer of oil is going to notably reduce its efficiency. With intercooled FI engines, intercooler efficiency is actually more important than turbocharger efficiency given the fact that the compression of the air alone is the most significant factor that increases its temperature. The efficiency plays a much smaller role comparatively speaking. It is up to the intercoolers to reduce the 300+F temperatures down to a reasonable ~100-130F prior to entering the engine.

I cannot speak any hard facts as to why your friends with naturally aspirated V8's make more power with PCV - perhaps it is because with the PCV system in place they are actually running slightly leaner due to the system drawing in clean air around the carburetor through the crankcase itself. But again, my biggest concern with our TT vehicles is the effect the oil coating has on the intercooler thermal efficiency.

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.