TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Interior Innovations interior installed. I'm ~98% done with
People Seeking Info

Subject Interior Innovations interior installed. I'm ~98% done with

Posted by PiotrC70 on April 07, 2011 at 8:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 6922 times.

Message the inside. First off... Ordering through Khalid was easy and I received the package (from the UK) in about the 2 week time frame that I was quoted. My first disappointment (not with the product) was with DHL. They required a signature and when I signed the slip and advised to put it by my side door or around back, the a**hole left it square in my front entry for everyone to see...

My picky borderline OCD review
After opening the heavy and extremely packed box, I inspected things to find everything to be in relatively great shape. Both armrest covers had 1-3 stitches that had come out on the bends. The seats had some minor leather defects.. almost like a crease inside of the leather itself...hardly noticeable, while another had a very tiny (1-2mm round) scratch.... probably no different than letting a screw driver drop on the seat.

After calling around to reputable shops from established ma/pa, to ones that deal with antiques/classics/roadsters to Mercedes/Ferrari-esque, I was quoted anywhere from $250 for everything, to ~$500. That is me dropping off the seats and stuff off to them. Estimated time for most was CLAIMED at 3-4hrs. I'll get to that later. The rate around here is around $80-100/hr for those curious.

Their review
I decided to go with a local place (Hoglunds) a few miles from my house that has an excellent reputation for doing classics/roadsters, etc. I was quoted over the phone of around 3-4hrs but received a call the day they were to start by a 30yr professional installer and said it would likely be 6-8hrs and about 30-1hr for the stitching corrections. After dropping by to see how things were going, I got a chance to talk with the guy who was doing the work and he said these seats are a real pain and the leather is VERY tight fitting and borderline too small, without some heating/massaging. That being said, he also stated out of all the leather he's seen, he would give it an 8 out of 10, even with the slight imperfections.

On to the pics
Here's a side by side of my old TT leather seat that was actually in BETTER condition than my vert ones.

NOW, here's a major flaw IMO. Below you'll see the old/new aligned, and sitting side by side.... noticing anything different?

The seam on the factory seat is ~2" farther back than the interior innovations kit. The problem with this is that MOST installers will pull the 3 straps that are attached to the seam through the existing 3 factory holes, this causes very ugly wrinkles and creases. My installer cut 3 new holes FORWARD about 2" and this causes the straps to be pulled straight down as apposed to back and down.

Another side by side for color reference. The seats are black w/ red stitching and not charcoal.

The seats have yet to be cleaned/treated w/ Zaino which is why they look dull.

Before anyone asks, I do have the matching ebrake but I can't seem to take excalibur out of the stone. Short of cutting it off, I've heated/pried and failed.

If you already haven't... CLEAN your suede with a few drops of soap and really warm water. I just used a clean rag and it's amazing how much dirt came off. I think all the panels are 3 shades lighter.

Not sure how I feel about that handle. There's a noticeable shade difference between the plastic pieces and leather.

Impressions
Both my friend and I agree that for the price, the Interior Innovations kit is worth it. My total cost of install was around $590 for those wondering. The seats are VERY plush compared to the old dried OEM. Even with all the leather treatment I've put on my old seats, these are SOOO much better and softer. I couldn't be happier with my ~$1000 interior.

BONUS PICS
Take a look at what's been laying around for ~8yrs

NIB OEM floormats... Wonder how much I can get for these. :o) Finally I have an interior worthy of new floormats.

Also, Here's pics of my cool white LED pods & floor lights, and red cluster & key ring. I upgraded the glove box light and ash tray lighting as well but no pics.

WLEDx5 sanded to diffuse light.

btw.. the 3mm pod lights were a MOTHER EFF. I had to make a 2nd order and ordered about 6 extra because they kept breaking while taking them out of the enclosure to be mounted in the OEM fitting.

p.s. I can't wait for summer.

1993 TT. R.I.P. 09.15.2010

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.