TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Custom (home made) Convertible Sub Box Project
People Seeking Info

Subject Custom (home made) Convertible Sub Box Project

Posted by ConVerTT on October 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 2611 times.

Message Hey Guys! Now that ConVerTT 2.0 is finally done (LOL) it was time to upgrade the stereo and the old Pioneer speakers. I decided to go with an Alpine (iPod player) deck and amp, a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect series 6.1 components for the doors, and a pair of 8" Kicker SoloBaric L5's for subs.

Mandatory Box Shots

So those of you fellow convertible owners might be thinking "Hey Man - you cannot fit a sub with a 4.75 inch mounting depth in the back of a convertible". Enter the eccentrically mounted sub box.

The subs are mounted eccentrically so that box can stick out about two inches in front of the back deck giving the extra clearance required for the 4.75 inch mounting depth.

This design also has the extra side benefit of allowing the plastic part of the window to fold down BEHIND the subs, which prevents the vibration of the subs from marking the window.

The box is made from 3/4" MDF. Home Depot did most of the straight cuts. I did the notches and curved cuts with a jigsaw.

The carpet and other miscellaneous stuff was from Crutchfield. Here are a couple of shots of the construction:

Keeping the music inside the convertible is tricky, so the doors did get the full Gordo treatment plus an ample dose of Dynamat to cover off all the holes.

I paid particular attention to the large holes behind the seatbelt retractors. Blocking these huge ports off with the Dynamat made quite a difference.

Doing the doors was time consuming but it made a huge difference to the sound quality of the stereo and to reducing road noise and vibration sounds on rough roads. As Gordo stated in his original post (check the FAQ's if you don't know what I am talking about) - the doors do now close with a very satisfying "THUMP". (ConVerTT 1.0 is jealous and is going to get the same treatment this winter).

Thanks for looking :)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.