TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Fixed my boost problem finally
People Seeking Info

Subject Fixed my boost problem finally

Posted by ZCulture on March 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 1474 times.

Message So I decided to fix my boost problem after getting low numbers on the dyno. I have a Blitz SBC-iD3 and the problem was that I would not boost past 12psi even with the duty cycle set to 100%. On the dyno, I peaked at 11psi with 10.5psi steady boost. Here's the dyno chart. Not bad for 11psi but I wanted more.

As I mentioned the max boost I'd get was 12psi with 100% duty cycle. With the wastegate hose disconnected, I was able to boost to 19psi before letting off. This ruled out major boost leaks. It seemed like the solenoid was letting some pressure to bleed through even at 100% duty cycle. This would cause the wastegate to open and limit the boost.

I took apart the Blitz solenoid today. There are two solenoids inside which are connected in parallel. The solenoids are normally open which means that they let through pressure when off. If one of the solenoids was faulty, the boost control would be similar to what I was seeing. So I tested the solenoid conductance and it looked fine. Then I got to the connector and instantly saw the problem: one of pins in the red connector shown below was too far in. One of the solenoids was not getting any signal because of this.

The fix was simple but I didn't want to get too excited before actually seeing it work. And it worked! Boost response is like never before. 7psi at 3000rpm, full boost by 4000rpm, and quite steady thereafter. I am a happy camper. It's time to put the Z on a dyno again.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.