TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Perhaps some useful information for JWT 530BB turbo owners.
People Seeking Info

Subject Perhaps some useful information for JWT 530BB turbo owners.

Posted by Ash's Z on April 20, 2006 at 2:58 AM
  This message has been viewed 2956 times.

Message Greetings from PA, where the fun never stops....

Currently doing some wrenchwork on a 530BB equipped Z - found that one of the turbos have a problem: the turbine blade tips have been damaged either by excessive heat or from FOD. This was discovered when the turbine housing was removed from the turbo to further inspect possible causes for the drag noted while rotating the shaft.

The compressor housing was removed to take measurements of the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel diameters were measured as well in hopes that a new CHRA could be located to replace this one. In quick searching of Garrett's site, I found that this turbocharger is actually a GT2554R turbocharger, modified by JWT to make it a simple bolt-on affair, but it is a standard shelf-stock Garrett turbocharger. The Garrett unit comes with the .80 A/R compressor housing and the .64 A/R 5-bolt turbine housing, which is identical to the 530BB turbo -

[ http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT25/GT2554R_471171_3.htm ]

This turbo is apparently popular amongst the Honda crowd and seems readily available through several turbo suppliers.

Tomorrow I will source out a CHRA for this turbo, which will probably only be around $400 or so, and will likely just buy two and replace them both while the engine is out.

Interesting information for me though - I was under the impression that the 530BB and GT28R are pretty much the same turbo as they produce similar power levels and have similar peak boost pressure capacities, but they are actually different turbos - the 530BB actually being smaller than the GT28R.

So, for those of you out there that may end up with a problem with your JWT 530BB turbos sometime in the future, you can simply purchase a new CHRA for the turbo (which is the turbo minus the housings) and just install the JWT modified housings onto the new cartridge and be ready to roll.

I will confirm this information upon receipt of the replacement cartridge but there are only so many BB turbos that Garrett produces - I dont really see any room for error here, but I will follow up regardless.... just felt like venting a little so thanks for the time. :)

530BB rebuild
530 bb rebuild
rebuild 530BB
rebuild 530 BB
chra 530BB
chra 530 BB

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.