TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - SZR: Z32 Turbocharger based Gas Turbine, MK2.5
People Seeking Info

Subject SZR: Z32 Turbocharger based Gas Turbine, MK2.5

Posted by Ash's Z on September 26, 2005 at 11:34 PM
  This message has been viewed 4373 times.

Message Been building this thing on/off when I have time and finally uploaded construction pics and took a video of her running last night.

Stock turbocharger, McMaster-Carr Shurflo diaphragm pump for oil supply, 3"X~8" oil reservoir, completely jet fuel fed.

Flame tube innards

Flame tube outer

Jet fuel vaporization setup: McMaster-Carr 5GPH hollow-cone nozzle and custom built evaporation tube system

Afterburner fuel vaporization and diffuser setup:

And here is the video from startup to afterburner ignition, to spooldown.
The turbocharger is operating at ~22psi with 12psi of fuel pressure, facilitated with a 300ZX NA fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and bleed valve for fuel delivery control. The turbine housing has a K-type EGT thermocouple and the temperature at full bore with afterburner was 1400F (maximum turbine inlet temps allowable).

The amount of airflow and noise this thing generates is simply unreal. A small group of neighborhood kids showed up and handled the video camera for me through the video.
Not really any more Z-related than the sole fact it uses a stock Z32 turbocharger and runs at high boost, but figured I would give those of you with an extra turbo laying around something to think about building. This MPEG is 14.6MB, so dialup users probably will want to skip the DL. It is 2minutes and 17 seconds at 320X240 and was shot at night to show the afterburner in full effect. :) (Please excuse the "unregistered" watermark that was put in the video by the avi-to-mpeg converter)

[ http://ashspecz.com/Image%20Gallery/GasTurbineMK2-5/Video/GTMK25W-ABFULL2.MPG ]

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.