TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Saturday Night Project: Concealing a Conzult Cable...
People Seeking Info

Subject Saturday Night Project: Concealing a Conzult Cable...

Posted by BradZ (FL) on August 06, 2005 at 10:15 PM
  This message has been viewed 1356 times.

Message Well, it started with a simple battery removal and re-installation...and somewhere in between, this happened...

Background: I recently purchased a Conzult cable from PLMS. It has been an asset in diagnosing problems and makes simple tasks even simpler. I highly recommend getting one.

I decided that I wanted to leave it plugged up...and route it to the glove box so I can just plug in the laptop and go...and so the cable wouldn't be in the way if I went for a drive while monitoring data/sensors. For some reason the Conzult port connector didn't want to stay plugged up...it was very loose and wanted to fall out...so I zip-tied it in place. Now to start tucking it behind the interior panels...but wait...there's an interface box with LEDs on the cable...it would be a shame to hide it back there...

Luckily, there's a little unused plastic panel on the piece of trim below the steering column. (Perhaps this was where a vent would have gone...anyone know which Zs had a vent here?...or was it used for something else?) Originally I wanted to just drill 3 holes for the LEDs to show through...but then I realized there wasn't enough space behind the trim panel for the box...so I cut a big hole in it...

I put some masking take over it so I could sketch around the cable's interface box...

Then I realized I could remove it from the trim panel...lol...dhu!

Drilled holes in the corners...

Then used a Dremel to cut out the square...I kind of rushed through it...I could have made it smoother...but it would rarely be seen anyway...

Back in the trim panel...

All done and back in the car...

Let there be LED light...

Warning: Danger to Manifold!!!

The beater Dell laptop...for some reason it thinks black = green...it probably needs an inverter...but I really don't care since I can still read it...Shameless Plug: It's for sale on eBay

A screenshot of the Data Display when the car is running...taken when I first got DataScan to connect to my ECU...

The other end of the cable now resides in the glove box...perhaps one day there'll be a Mini-ITX setup in there to connect it to...but for now, my Toshiba laptop will have to do.

Nothing terribly fancy, just thought I'd share...

BradZ 

-Brad
1992 Z32 2+2 NA
1986 Z31 Coupe NA (For Sale)

"Let me brake the news to all those ignorant old folks in this forum." - nightriderZ on July 14, 2005 at 2:33 AM
"...Stage III does require an ECU upgrade MORAN..." - djtz1 on June 29, 2005 at 3:34 PM
"yes...tight is good..." - ZXRider(SoCal) on June 24, 2005 at 2:18 AM
"Have you asked her to smile like a doughnut yet?..." - dvlhntr on February 28, 2005 at 2:26 PM

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.